Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Cure for what's buggin' me...

Flies, I tell ya. FLIES! I came home today to find five of them gathered in what I believe was a book club meeting at the kitchen sink. I'm not sure how the fly population in GottaLand went from zero to five, but so be it. Now, near as I could tell, they were analyzing the classic A Fly Went By and when they disagreed with my assessment of both the role of the pig AND my theory that the cat was a Horcrux, I took action, grabbing a kitchen towel and remarkably killing four of them within a minute. The fifth continued to "went by" me quite often. Pesky little devil.

But that's not the cure. The cure really came yesterday and had nothing to do with insects. But ya see, I have been bugged by the fact that I've had no time to write much poetry beyond Fibs of late. Not that I'm complaining about having a lot to write -- it's WONDERFUL -- but I've been feeling like something was missing from my writing routine. Then voila, yesterday I got an honorable mention in the Smartwriters.com W.I.N. contest. AND that honor came from the incredibly talented judge, Sonya Sones. AND FoGB Susan Taylor Brown got TWO mentions in the contest (poetry AND picture book), as did a member of my remarkably, uniformly talented online critique group.

Anyway, it was a nice little jolt to remind me that I should find the time to write the fun stuff I love... and positive jolts are always better than the negative.

Now I've got a blank piece of paper in front of me, so I gotta book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SilberBook-Blog said...

Couldn't agree more: the ol' "Write What You Know-Know what You Love - Love What You Do" triumverate.

But better than that - you are the Brave Little Tailor of SoCal, killing 4 flies with one towel! I sense an Oddaptation, perhaps???

Congrats on the SmartWriters contest!

alan

Nancy said...

Fantastic! And congratulations!

I find approval and recognition can go a long way. Milk it for all it's worth!