Friday, September 24, 2010

UNFAIR - a county fair poem/a life's unfair poem

UNFAIR
by
Greg Pincus

The fluffy candy looked bright pink,
But it was really cotton.
The caramel apples looked delish…
But every one was rotten.

The petting zoo had great big signs,
You Only Look -- Don’t Touch.
The penny candy cost twelve bucks -
I didn’t have that much.

My giant lolli fell apart:
The spiraled rings uncoiled.
I waited for the rides so long
My deep-fried Twinkie spoiled.

I went to watch a sheep get sheared.
Instead, it cut my hair!
I sure can’t wait 'til I go home...
I don’t like this Unfair.

The Poetry Friday roundup is over at Karin Edmisten's Blog with the Shockingly Clever Title. Head on over and see what's poetically what this week in the blogosphere.

And as always, if you want to get all my new poems (and only the poems) emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

12 comments:

Tabatha said...

I think this is one of my favorite poems of yours, Greg!

david elzey said...

something about that lilli uncoiling really unsettled me... in a good way though! nice one.

Carol Grannick said...

Love this!! Oh, how I miss the Wisconsin State Fairs I used to be at every year!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

You know, this one totally made me think (in the best way) of "Put me in the Zoo" - one of my favorite picture books when I was a kid, and one I found as a board book for MY kid. Like that, UNFAIR is rollicking and clever and great fun! (I want to see the picture book version of it!)
Great job,
Namaste and a Hug,
Lee

Sara W.E. said...

I heart this poem. So much.
"GREG - a very clever one/a funny-ever one"

Anonymous said...

Great poem, Greg! I could see it all happening! Love the penny candy line:-)

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks, y'all! I will celebrate your comments by having a fair flashback - something deep fried or chocolate covered. Or both!

Yat-Yee said...

Ha! I really like this. Just the County Fair and Life's Unfair comparison alone is worth the price of uh, a deep fried twinkie?

Rita said...

HA!!!

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, MAN. If the poor kid was in line long enough for the Twinkie to spoil? It was a lifetime!!

I love this.

Sara Furlong said...

what a great poem and what a great blog!! i just found you tonight and i'm in love. i'll be back soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Lover the poem and your blog. Enjoy reading your work.