Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why I Didn't Turn In My Homework - a school poem/an excuse poem

Why I Didn’t Turn In My Homework
by
Greg Pincus

I left it at home.
It made me weep.
I did other work.
I fell asleep.

I must’ve lost it.
I did it last week!
What? There was homework?
To me it was Greek.

My printer was dead.
I don’t understand what it’s supposed to teach me and that wasn’t explained and I don’t learn anything when you give me a number grade or a check mark with no explanation of how to get better so the homework is a waste of my time and I didn’t do it because I hate it.
It’s not due tomorrow?
My doggie ate it.

Today's poem was inspired by the poetry prompt over at The Miss Rumphius Effect. It might've also been inspired by some real-life observation, too, and it's quite clearly from a student POV!

If you want to get all my poems emailed to you for freeee as they hit the blog, enter your email address in the box below then click subscribe!

7 comments:

Rita said...

You crack me UP, Greg. This is fantastic. The pen-penultimate line made me laugh out loud.

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks, Rita. Pen-penultimate is nice. Pre-penultimate and post-penultimate could be new terms, too :-)

Perogyo said...

Gotta love a poem that is laugh out loud funny!

Thanks!

Eileen said...

I love this! Every time a teacher asks me why his or her students aren't completing homework, I will forward them this!

Jim Hill said...

I've kept this tab open for 24 hours now, and I keep coming back to read this poem. I love it. Great piece, Greg!

Amy L V said...

The last stanza killed me. Ha! True and funny at the same time. Yes. a.

Sally said...

Love it - my printer was dead...whatever happened to my dog ate it, or my kid brother took it.

Thanks for the laugh.