Monday, April 28, 2014

30 Poets/Day 28 - April Halprin Wayland and Francisco X. Alarcón

OK, here on day 28 with April Halprin Wayland and Francisco X. Alarcón and my search for daily themes once again leads me to say "I love poetry! That's the theme! POETRY!" Yup. I've done a good job this month not going all fanboy on y'all, but geeeeez, once again I gotta say... I love these poems, and hope you do, too.

HOW TO READ A POEM ALOUD
by
April Halprin Wayland

First, read the title of the poem

and the poet’s name.


Be clear.


Now completely

disappear.


Let each line

shine.


Then read it

one more time.

When the poem

ends, sigh.


Think about the poet at her desk,
late at night, picking up her pen to write…

and why.

© 2009 April Halprin Wayland. All rights reserved.
(click here to see the original post and comments)



Listen/Escucha
by
Francisco X. Alarcón

Listen

“listen, mijito
we are never
really alone”

whispers
my grandma
to my ear

like a flapping
hummingbird
in the dark

“the wind
the stars
the sea

never stop
speaking to
each of us”
Escucha

“escucha, mijito
nunca estamos
solos en realidad”

me susurra
mi abuelita
como colibrí

aleteando
junto a mi oído
en la oscuridad

“el viento
las estrellas
el mar

a cada uno
no nos dejan
de hablar”

© 2010 Francisco X. Alarcón. All rights reserved.
(click here to see the original post and comments)

Yesterday we had poetry from Kenn Nesbitt and Graham Denton. Tomorrow... Douglas Florian and Liz Garton Scanlon.

Please click here for more information about this year's edition of 30 Poets/30 Days, including how to follow along.

2 comments:

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

I hadn't read either of these before, but so glad I did now.

especially love April's image of her at her desk, writing this poem for all of us to ponder and enjoy.

thanks!
Lee

April Halprin Wayland said...

Thanks for posting this again, Greg. I love Francisco X. Alarcon's lines:

"like a flapping
hummingbird
in the dark

“the wind
the stars
the sea

never stop
speaking to
each of us"